At Hotwells Primary School we embrace Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in everything that we do. We are committed to everyone in our school community experiencing equality of opportunity, respect and feeling included. We celebrate diversity and promote a positive culture where everyone can thrive and feel proud of who they are.
We are committed to the development of cohesive communities both within our school and within our local, national and global environments.
The Equality Act 2010 was introduced to ensure protection from discrimination, harassment and victimisation on the grounds of specific characteristics (referred to as protected characteristics). This means that schools cannot discriminate against pupils and staff or treat them less favourably because of their sex (gender), race, disability, religion or belief, gender reassignment, sexual orientation or pregnancy or maternity.
Our school aims to meet its obligations under the Public Sector Equality Duty (PSED) by having due regard to the need to:
- Eliminate discrimination, harassment, victimisation or other conduct that is prohibited by the Equality Act 2010.
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it.
- Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it.
Our Equalities objectives for 2022-2023 are:
- Improve provision for, and track progress of, pupils for whom English is an additional language, and specifically for new arrivals.
- Narrow the gap for disadvantaged pupils in Reading, Writing and Maths in all year groups.
- Ensure that equality and diversity is celebrated across the school, and increase opportunities to promote understanding and respect for different backgrounds and cultures.
Our Equality Information and Objectives Policy can be viewed here.